About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Monday, October 1, 2012

UNPACKING MY BAGGAGE

Have you ever traveled with too much luggage? The first time I went to Germany I had three suitcases. Can you imagine me carrying them up and down the stairs of the train stations, in and out of every hotel? I was so tired carrying all the things I thought I couldn't live without.

I went to St. Michael's Church the other morning weighed down by all kinds of emotion. When I got there I couldn't believe the priest was talking about traveling light -how people carry too much baggage when they travel and how they carry hurts and pain around for years when they can let it go.

So, I unpacked a few things...
~the overwhelming sorrow of a son who has moved to the west coast
~the fear I have for him
~the resentment of the teenage tension and drama
~the hurt of painful conversations

I walked away from church that morning a little lighter.

"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden in light." Matthew 11:28-30

We are so burdened by all the things we carry... hurts, pain, sorrow, sadness, disappointment... some of it we can choose to let go of. Not everything needs to be carried around day after day, year after year. It is heavy and makes us weary. Got any baggage you need to unpack?

No comments:

Post a Comment