About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Friday, July 5, 2013

CHRIST'S GAZE


Trust comes under so many layers of knowing and being known. I find I must peel away all my doubts, insecurities, hurts, projections, preconceived ideas and stand before the one I am to know and love; this is no small task. Months ago now, I was brought face to face with this reality as I wandered the Alte Pinakothek in Munich. Rembrandt’s painting; “Christ Resurrected” literally stopped me in my tracks.

 

Imagine Christ gazing directly into your eyes as He stands robed in white before you; the loving compassion in His eyes is compelling. I was drawn to return again and again to His piercing gaze. I looked for anger, disappointment, hurt, shame, disgust, wrath, or indifference; I found tender affection and understanding that touched me deeply.

 

Perhaps if I picture Christ this way- compassionate, tender-hearted, gentle, kind and longing to help me, I’d be more willing to believe. My heart and soul were stirred in a way a thousand sermons could never have done- He cared. He loved me; He knew how tired and fragile and weary I was and He longed to help me.
 
What would you find in Christ's eyes if you stood before Him?

 

Medicine from Sacred Scripture:

 

“For this is what the Sovereign Lord says, “I Myself will search for My sheep and look after them. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays; I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak.” Ezekiel 34:11, 16

No comments:

Post a Comment