About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Friday, November 22, 2013

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS


For the next five weeks we will look at what it means to go home for the holidays. So many have such deep pain around their memories of home and going home. I pray these reflections might bring healing.


I thought I knew where I was going, a quick trip to the airport to pick up family flying in- so simple, right? I arrived early and ran up the steps, two by two, eagerly scanning the arrivals; their flight was in. Gazing at the security line I noticed a soldier boarding and mentally thanked him for his service. Five minutes went by and I scrambled down to baggage claim, but couldn’t find them, so I ran up the stairs again to wait at the gate. No sign of them. After searching and waiting, reaching for the phone only to realize I didn’t have their numbers, I began to get frantic. How could I connect with them? I kept seeking them where they had always met me before.

So it is with family and home comings. We wait for someone in the place we have always met them, but they have changed and we can no longer find them there. We must negotiate arrivals and find ways to relate when our hearts are longing for more than a welcome. We want to be found; receiving acceptance and grace for who we have become, not who we were when we left.

After finding my in-laws we make our way home to dinner and a full table. Sharing the details of their journey they settle in for a visit. It will be brief and busy, but we have moments and memories to string together and draw our hearts just that much closer. We will go to the coast, Mom and I, to walk the Marginal Way and Dad will go antiquing; little gifts of time and grace to hold space for each other.

I wonder how far you are from home and others. Will you find home in these holidays?

Medicine from Sacred Writing:

That son, when he returned to His Father’s house, came to his former honor and appeared more glorious than him who had ever been well-pleasing.”

John Chrysostom Fourth Century


No comments:

Post a Comment