About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

PACKAGE PROBLEMS


I approached the TSA officer quite embarrassed, “I have a really unusual request.”
“No, unusual requests started a week ago lady; this is nothing,” he joked.
I sent wrapped Christmas presents home with my in-laws, but unfortunately I couldn't remember what was in one of the packages purchased in Maine over the summer. The security personnel seized the box of goodies but told my mother-in-law I could come retrieve it within an hour, so here I was at the airport again.
Wrapping presents earlier that morning I had been delighted with myself: here I was with presents bought and on their way to Colorado four weeks before Christmas. Pride goes before a fall. As I waited for the supervisor to bring the key to unlock the confiscated item all I could think was, “How could I be so ignorant?” By the time I retrieved the syrup many of the TSA workers had had a good laugh at my expense and maybe that is the point.
It will not be easy, this season of buying and mailing and delivering. Earlier in the week I saw an old weary man bent over an empty shopping cart shuffling across South Main Street. We all have handicaps coming into the holidays; it’s just that some disabilities are easier to see than others. What we carry, or do not carry, in our hearts hinders or helps us as we begin this time of giving and receiving.
If we are to live and give and survive we cannot afford an empty cart and we must know what is in the package. Wild blueberry jam, honey and maple syrup will not fly! I must give of myself what I can and know that He who made me is more than able to supply all that I need if I ask Him. Everything hidden will be revealed anyways! All that I intended to give was plainly made evident as the airport officials showed me.
I wonder what you’ll be giving this Christmas.
Medicine from Sacred Scripture
“Every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights.”  James 1:17 New Revised Standard Version




No comments:

Post a Comment