About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Friday, March 2, 2018

LENT'S TENANT







I forget in Lent that it isn't about me. It isn't about me trying harder, being more holy, eating less, not eating chocolate or drinking wine. Lent is a preparation for a feast. I get ready, I clean house, make my home ready for guests; it's like Thanksgiving. I know I'm having guests and so I go the extra mile to make my home spotless. How much more so my soul for the Guest and the feast to come.

Easter is the feast we are preparing for. Christ comes, lives among us, pitches His tent with His people and then suffers His Passion, but He rises from the dead. The church celebrates His life, death and Resurrection and we are invited to join in. Love woos us through Lent and grace carries us, it is like the waves crashing on the shore, the grace and love of God are unfailing. We need to remember to open our hearts and trust in Him.




The tenants in Matthew 21:13-41 were preparing for the owner to return, but they forgot. We forget that we are waiting for a Savior to return, that we discipline ourselves out of love for Him, out of longing for Him to come to us, return to us. Our hearts are preparing for God, that is what Lent is about. The life of the Son of God, restored from the dead, is celebrated at Easter, The Risen one comes and tells us He will make all things new, whispers to our hearts that we will be made new as well ~ this is the reason for Lent. I am like a tenant, waiting for God to come and claim me as His own. How am I waiting?

I want to be made new, in my attitudes and my actions, in my thoughts and in my words, not to be holier than thou, but to be made ready. I take my small faltering steps towards Easter, knowing I am weak and frail, and sinful and indulgent. I give all this to Him, I have little self-discipline, He whispers, "I know, Child." I lack the most basic of charity and kindness, and He stoops low, when I fall through my words, and picks me up again, brushes my dress smooth and says, "Let's try again."

Lent is a mirror, that I hold up to my soul and say, "What now? What can I do, small as I am, to make myself ready for so great a King?" Do I reflect His light, His glory, His love?

I could start by changing my clothes. The ones no one sees.

Medicine from Sacred Scripture:

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, 
clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievance you may have against one another. 
Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 
And over all these virtues, put on love, 
which binds them all together in perfect unity.
 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts."

Colossians 3:12-15 


No comments:

Post a Comment