About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

COMFORT COSTS



A red cardinal just flew up through the tree outside my window and sits perched on a low hanging branch. No babies to watch, this bird freely soars. An empty nest. A quiet house seems to betray the fact that the boisterous or moody or social one has now flown the coop. Stillness gnaws at the edges of who we are.

How to love and live freely and yet well? How to let go and let God have our children, our friends, our very lives? When roles and responsibilities identify who we are there will be restless yearning as these change- one must face one's self unadorned.

I was accused today of being a, “hands off” mother. And would I want to be one whose talons are forever cutting into the soul of the child who is really not my own? As I allow God to comfort me in the losses there have been sleepless nights and tears, but there has been Presence and joy. Comfort costs me my wants and desires and asks me to create a space where God can meet me. That place is called emptiness. Open your hands and let them go- in this freedom they can live and you will soar.

Medicine from Sacred Writing:

The God of mercies and Father of all comfort comfort all our hearts, both those who are oppressed by grief and those held down with any other sorrow.”

St. John Chrysostom Homilies on Second Corinthians Homily 1.7; NPNF1.276


No comments:

Post a Comment