About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

HEART-BREAKING BREAD BAKING

Goodbye begins with baking four loaves of cranberry bread, maybe not in your home, but in ours it does. As my hands are busy measuring and making my heart pounds with a hundred different questions: Did I make his favorite food? Did I have enough conversations that reached his heart? Have we said all we need to say to send this one into the world ready?

Your house may not be filled with the fragrance of baking, but this one is- I love in the ways I hold most dear and trust that all this food has fed their souls as well. Perhaps the cinnamon rolls have spoken welcome and belonging when I have not, maybe the oatmeal bread has filled their hearts with warmth and a sense of home as nothing else will. I do what I can do- and you will do the same. You will try to cram all the years of a child growing into so many hugs and so many words. It is enough, they will remember, and you will always be home if you are willing to let go; if you do not, there is no place to return to. One cannot return when one is tethered.

So, be brave, bake the bread, do the shopping- whatever will settle your heart's questions and know love will bring them home. Crumbs of cranberry bread left on the counter remind me that Saturday's plane ride is fast approaching, but as I plan elaborate meals this one informs me he is leaving today for the call of Mount Mansfield and a long bike ride. “Mom, I'll be back Thursday...” for a few days and then the long goodbye.

Medicine from Sacred Scripture:

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain...” Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4, 5

No comments:

Post a Comment