About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

VISITORS

A few Sundays ago I heard about Abraham welcoming strangers in Genesis Chapter 18; a lovely story that nudged me to listen to God in prayer. As I sat in church here's what He said:

“Child, I would like you to welcome Me as Abraham welcomed his guests. Let me be the Guest in your soul. Welcome Me and and welcome those I send you.” Obviously I must need a bit of help in the hospitality department - God had to use the word, “welcome,” four times in three sentences!

I thought God was patronizing; I had prepared for company coming- Tyler's girlfriend, Rae, but I had to stretch myself to welcome our oldest son's friend and then my sister and her guest. Dinners were chaotic- two chickens roasted, any number of vegetables peeled and cooked, home made bread defrosted and inhaled. As I set aside my hostess hat and listened to conversations around the dinner table I was amazed at the laughter, the questions raised and the love offered by our family.

My heart needed to be ready to welcome people, not just entertain them, realizing they came seeking, hungry and needy. Only as I welcomed Christ into my soul could I be fit to receive them into my home.

Have any company coming soon that need more than a cup of tea and a bite to eat? Maybe they need comfort, connection, hope or healing? 

Medicine from Sacred Writings:

Abraham looked around in order that he might hospitably entertain the stranger. He didn't cover his roof with gold, but fixed his tent near the oak and was content with the shadow of its leaves. Yet, so illustrious was his lodging, that angels were not ashamed to tarry with him; for they sought not the splendor of abode, but virtue of soul.”


St. Chrysostom Concerning the Statutes Homily II. 15; NPNF 9.349

No comments:

Post a Comment