About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Monday, February 3, 2014

SURPRISED BY LOVE


Life is hardly ever about the surface, what's happening on the level of conversation and conflict, emotion and response; we long to know we're loved. Like a constant ever-flowing stream under our lives is one truth: we are loved. How do I know this, how can I be so sure? It is written in my heart when I wake in the morning and splashed over the life that I live. His Word tells me, "Great is His love towards us and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever." Psalm 117:2  I have only to ask for the eyes to see and the ears to hear.

"Be still My Child, and know I am God. I come to you, but you are not available to hear Me and know Me. I am Love. You will be purified by my love; I sit as the refiner of your soul."

I want to argue, "I don't know what you are talking about God." I know exactly what He's referring to. I read and pray and God hardly gets a word in edge-wise. He wants to quiet me with His love, but I don't want to be hushed, I want to understand. He only guarantees He is faithful and true, like a stream of love and mercy running in the depth of our souls.

Ice floes cause such devastation, ruining ships and lives and expeditions. Endurance chronicles Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton's encounter with ice packs; amazingly no lives were lost on this voyage, but much misery was suffered and countless cargo lost. I wonder if the same is true for us?

Living in the love and grace of God allows us to maneuver water and challenges that might not be so simple. Far less damage is done in my relationships and my heart when I walk knowing I am loved. God's love is like a rudder to guide us, an anchor to ground us, like a life-jacket, that when all else fails and we are thrown into deep water, even then we will be saved because His love embraces us. And if , "God is love,"  as 1 John 4:16 says, then Love is actually our Pilot and He will see us safely through.

Been in rough waters? If you want smooth sailing rest in His love.

Medicine from Sacred Writing:

"The Eternal God is your refuge and underneath are the Everlasting Arms." Deuteronomy 33:27



No comments:

Post a Comment