About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Monday, February 23, 2015

SIN AND SNOW

I am unaffected by the six inches of snow that fell on the east coast dropping flakes, filling driveways, falling on roofs and fields alike. This precipitation is so far removed from me as we bask in the sunshine of the Bay Area, picnicing in the park, meandering through the Headlands, dining together.


 I wonder, if I have been moved from darkness to light, if my sins have been dealt with on the cross of Cbrist, what keeps me weighed down as if I was buried under the most recent Nor'Easter? It is that I am unaware. First, I cannot always see and second I am either forgetful or unmoved by my bent towards sin and self, by my self-absorbed way of  loving. When we traveled through TSA pre-check we heard, "keep it on, keep it in." This is helpful if it is 5:30 am and you don't want to unpack the laptop and take off your shoes, but if, however, it is God who is looking to see what baggage we carry in our souls, it is most unhelpful. We need a closer examination. He asks for holiness and we settle for so much less. The journey of Lent is one of listening to God and letting go of sins.


Once I see my sin and surrender to God's mercy the weight of the season of sin is lifted and the beginning of daily maintenance arrives: we are moved from the blinding blizzard of sin's sway and lifted into the lap of my Father who longs to wash me whiter than snow and inspect my carry-on, The truth is we live as though God were not interested in our little idolatrous ways when in fact He is most desirous to have  us whole and free,


Medicine from Sacred Scripture:

"I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved. He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper. The Lord is your shade at your right hand.... The Lord will keep you from all evil. He will keep your life. The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forevermore." Psalm 121


No comments:

Post a Comment