About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

ADVENT'S UNEXPECTED MELTDOWN


I'm not seeing Christmas here. Show me snow, give me twinkling lights, Someone work with me here. Heavy fog blanketed our pond at noon, driven away only by dreary rain falling drop by dismal drop all afternoon. It does not feel like Christmas.


At times in life the outside mirrors the inside. How do I find God in the rush, the noise, the endless lines and shopping lists? How do I reconcile my, "to do, list with my, "I need," list. There is a song from the musical, Annie: "I need a little Christmas, right this very minute..."  I feel like Annie on the inside.

How can I hold the tensions of my spiritual need and my every day demands? Joseph struggled as an unwilling participant in Jesus' arrival as his bethrothed expected a Child not his own. His spiritual need surely conflicted with the demands of a righteous Jewish man. He muddled through reconciling the situation as best he could, until an angel spoke to him.

I need God to speak into my confusion, my chaos, my need and my unending lists. He speaks peace and calms my soul. Just as God guided Joseph, so He will guide me. The angel's words are telling:

"Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, 
because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 
She will give birth to a Son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, 
because He will save His people from their sin." 
Matthew 1:20-21

I am compelled to admit I am afraid and need a Savior. One to save me from my sin, my lists, my fear and worry. He is near and sends His angels to bring this news:

 "Do not be afraid, 
I bring you Good News of great joy
 that will be for all people.
Today in the town of David 
a Savior has been born to you; 
He is Christ the Lord."
 Luke 2:10-11


God thank you that you know our hearts, the fear and worry we carry within us. Speak your Good News into our hearts that we might share your great joy.


Medicine from Sacred Writings:

"Joseph heard the angel say the very things which he thought in his mind,
 this afforded him an unquestionable sign that one had come from God to say it.
For to Him alone it belongs to know the secrets of the heart."

John Chrysostom   Fourth Century



No comments:

Post a Comment