About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Monday, December 18, 2017

ADVENT'S CALL TO ARISE


Waking in the dark mornings of Advent is a challenge. Rising and setting out, putting my feet onto the cold ground, is neither inviting nor comforting; at times my soul feels like this in the world- I'd rather stay wrapped up in my comfortable prayers than face the harsh reality of the world we live in. Yesterday's church service was full of despair: the cold Christians in Jordan needing blankets as the Middle East continues to persecute God's people, a 35 year old husband died unexpectedly and left his wife, of just one year, planning his funeral during the days before Christmas, sisters and brothers struggle with addiction and the world keeps breaking around me like glass in the dark night. Lives and nations, peoples and places cry out, my heart cries out, for hope, for light, for peace.

"Arise, shine, for your light has come, 
and the glory of the Lord rises upon you.
 See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, 
but the Lord rises upon you and His glory appears over you."
 Isaiah 60:1-2

Light comes. It always comes into darkness- into the deep darkness of morning slumber, into senseless violence in a war-torn world where terror reigns, and even into the dark despair of our own hearts as we try to tip-toe through the minefields of broken relationships and unmet expectations. Hope comes. It catches us by surprise- a "feel good news story," a humanitarian's good deeds coming to our attention, a story of God meeting a friend in need with His presence. It is astonishing how our hearts betray us into believing. Eternity, set in my heart, will open the door for heaven's hush to heal me.

I most long for peace, the quiet confidence that all will be well and I can relax. I unexpectedly awoke this morning with that peace. It was shocking really, to wake and not feel the rising panic of the to-do list, or the sinking feeling of not having done enough; they are the see-saw I live on emotionally most days. Peace steadies me and helps me become aware of the glory waiting to rise upon me. 

Today light came, and hope and peace quieted every murmuring noise within. A King is coming bearing gifts for all people. What is it you are most in need of this Advent?

Medicine from Sacred Writings:

"I promise you a Kingdom 
and let present things be the ground of your trust, your trust in Me." 

St. John Chrysostom 
 Homily II on Eutropius




No comments:

Post a Comment