About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

ADVENT'S STRENGTH


Recently I shattered the top of an old fashioned lantern- it was perched on a table in a new place; it crashed spectacularly on our front hall tile. Wow. What a sound, what a mess. It is how my soul feels at times living in this world- as I watch the glass shards fall all around me in lives and hearts and people learn to tip toe around the brokenness of our being.

It is wearying to constantly clear the glass, sweep the mess, pick myself up again and realize I do not need to clean up another's chaos, I can only gather my own shards, and even this is too much for me. There is One who swoops down into my mess and helps me. He strengthens me for what must be done. I must go on, my weak knees need to continue the journey, my feeble arms must carry on.

Yet a star shines, a promise is given that God is with us: Emmanuel. He comes to give us strength. Strength to hope, strength to believe, strength to bring the light and love of God into the darkness.

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men shall stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint."
 Isaiah 40:28-31

May the Holy One come and carry you on eagle's wings.

Medicine from Sacred Writings:

"The Babe that I carry carries me, says Mary, 
and He has lowered His wings and taken and placed me between His pinions, and mounted to the air; and a promise has been given to me that height and depth and all shall be my Son's."

Ephraim the Syrian
Hymn XII on the Nativity

2 comments: