About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Friday, December 15, 2017

ADVENT'S TEACHER



Trees bow low, branches break under summer sun while peaches ripen. The harvest waited and few noticed the gold of the small firm fruit. A friend invited me to pick in a neighbor's little orchard and I reveled in the sweetness of the deal- it was free! Jam could be made without a price paid; I struggled to carry the overflowing basket of nature's gift. I thought of the peaches today as I pondered Advent's Teacher.


I wonder, with Mary's yes, the cost of the fruit in her soul? The glory, yes, in moments remembering the angel's announcement, and in visiting Elizabeth to share the pregnant moment together. But what of the quiet times- the silent treatment from Joseph, the sidelong glances from relatives as she carried the heavy weight of the Son within, what price did she pay to hold heaven here?

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked 
or stand in the way of sinners, or sit in the seat of mockers. 
But his delight is in the law of the Lord
 and on His law he meditates day and night.

He is like a tree planted by streams of water, 
which yields its fruit in season 
and whose leaf does not wither." 
Psalm 1:1-3

 What is the cost in my soul as I bend under the weight of His glory in me? Roots going down into this stream are pure gold: love, peace, acceptance all soak up grace and a life of blessedness unfurls and unfolds in beautiful moments of holy joy. The branches that break as His life takes root in me? Many. Anger, selfishness, pride- the awareness of it exposes the barrenness in me.

I thought the Christ-Child would be my teacher this Advent season, an easy lesson on laying down my burdens, because His are easy and light. No, it appears Mary comes to teach me to accept and embrace the One who comes to make His home in me as well.

Will I rest where He has planted me, rooted and grounded in love, knowing the streams of living water run at the cost of His life, a ransom for many, a Mighty Redeemer is He.

Medicine from Sacred Scripture:

"This is what the Lord says-
your Redeemer,
The Holy One of Israel;
'I am the Lord your God,
who teaches you what is best for you,
who directs you in the way you should go."

Isaiah 48:17





No comments:

Post a Comment