About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

SHELTERED PLACES

My thoughts are back in Ireland- maybe because New England is covered in fresh snow and I miss the green pastures and fluffy sheep, maybe I miss being alone with my husband and I have spent five fast weeks with a house crammed full of our children, or maybe I felt sheltered there?

In my mind I'm drawn to the protective walls of Kell's Priory. When we walked the grounds there was a sense of enclosure, you were wrapped around with these thick walls to keep you safe. I need safety. Thoughts swirl, life flies, children leave, friends move, we change. Where will we find our sense of security? Perhaps in the One who makes the snow, the pastures, the sheep, the children, the friends, the One who gives us our very lives? He promises, "For in the day of trouble the Lord will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle." Psalm 27:5


Medicine from Ancient Writing:
"If any by the wayside is trodden down by all kinds of thoughts, let him enter into more sheltered places, and not lie exposed  for those who will invade for plunder." 
 St John Chrysostom Homilies on St. John Homily II NPNF:11; 14.9

No comments:

Post a Comment