About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

CHRISTMAS CHAOS

Finding the Christmas ornaments proved to be insanely challenging this year. I must have been in some kind of crisis last year because as I entered the dark attic I found complete chaos- each of the holiday bins meant to hold decorations for Valentine’s Day, Halloween and Thanksgiving were nearly empty but the attic floor held piles of stuff for each season. What a mess. Wooden paddles and candle holders were missing from the German Christmas pyramids; I couldn't rest until I’d found all the pieces. The pyramids spin slowly moving the carved figurines as the light from the candles heats the air beneath the paddles.


What a  picture of my soul; the flame of Christ’s Presence can fill me and fuel everything I do. Everyone wants to bring light and love to others, but first we must find the source of Light and what holds the light. For me, the candle holders became a vivid reminder that my soul is the container that holds the Light of Christ.


Sorting through the whole attic on the first day of Advent, I finally found what I was looking for. How appropriate. I must look through my soul at the beginning of this season, if I would trim my life with all that Christ has for me, some old things must be sorted and sifted in the Light of His coming.



“O come, O come, Emmanuel, and ransom captive Israel.” We are all captive to one thing or another: power, possessions, people, placating, pick your own vice and add it here. The call of Advent is to have an open ready heart for the King of Kings; He needs no stable, but we stand in need of His Presence in our lives and hearts.


May the Wonderful Counselor give the grace you need to clean house in your soul (and maybe your attic?)


Medicine from Sacred Scripture:

“Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you.” Isaiah 60:1




No comments:

Post a Comment