About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

DECEMBER GIFTS... OPENING PRESENTS EARLY

Emmanuel, God with us. And how am I to know He is near, with me, in this holiday season? Each day in December I look for a wink from heaven, a little present of some kind to remind me that God is near; they come in the most unusual shapes and sizes. Today’s gift was my daughter reaching for my hand as I cried during church. I prayed with a friend for her friend whose 14 year old daughter is dying of cancer. I was overwhelmed with sadness for this little family as they possibly face their last Christmas with their child. I cannot wrap my heart around this pain, I can pray for a miracle (join me!) and I can ask for the God of all comfort to comfort them. And in my sadness God gave me my gift; my child bringing God’s comfort to me.

It may be tea with a friend, an unexpected phone call or visitor, it may be a conversation with a loved one or a Christmas card from a dear friend. Open your eyes and heart this Advent to see the loving touch of your Creator in every day that He gives you. I keep a list of my December Gifts as a reminder of God’s presence and faithfulness. Watch what happens as you begin to pay attention to His nearness; the hustle and bustle of the holidays slowly begins to fade as you see God send you reminders of His love and care for you. Try something new this Christmas.

Medicine from Sacred Scripture:

“Comfort, comfort My people, says your God.” Isaiah 40:1

No comments:

Post a Comment