About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

A GENTLE LENT

A friend recently commented that a restoration of beauty might hold back the tide of sin and evil so prevalent in the world and even in our own hearts. Might this be true? Could Paul's words have anything to do with our Lenten journey and call to holiness?

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things." Philippians  4:8

But when I look at Lent this way, as a list of requirements of what I can think upon I am deeply distressed. This is my struggle and seeing this high mark I want to give up, but God comes near and whispers, "child, read more." If I am to accomplish verse eight I must know and rely on verse five.



"Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near." Philippians 4:5


God's nearness, His voice calling to me is what helps me in Lent. 

"The voice of the Lord is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the Lord thunders over the mighty waters. The voice of the Lord is powerful." Psalm 29:3,4

God says, "Today if you hear My voice, harden not your heart." Psalm 95:8 

Lent is an awakening to His voice, an awareness that He is God and holy and I am small and sinful. His waves crash over me, His voice thunders over the ocean and standing in the stillness and emptiness of Lent I am changed.


I open my heart to hear Him and know Him. His words are surprising:

 "No, do not worry about chocolate, child, that is not your struggle, yours is an inward fast from fear and judgment... Listen carefully to your thoughts, they are not holy, they are not impure, but neither are they right or lovely... Child, know that you can do nothing, especially Lent, on your own, "apart from Me you can do nothing." So, remain in my love, from My nearness and knowing you are loved, you will be able to live Lent well."


How are you living Lent?

Medicine from Sacred Scriptures:

"The Lord is enthroned as King forever. The Lord gives strength to His people;
 the Lord blesses His people with peace."
 Psalm 29:10, 11



"Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; 
for He is our God and we are the people of His pasture,
 the flock under His care." 
Psalm 95:6, 7



"

No comments:

Post a Comment