About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

TERROR IN LENT

How can innocent children be murdered~ for their faith, for their place in the world: vulnerable, trusting, defenseless. I cannot fathom, my heart cannot comprehend the horror, the last thoughts, the senselessness of it all. How, in some places, in the name of religion children are martyred and in suburbia, children are found lifeless in their own home. Heaven help us.

"Yet this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His mercies never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:21-22   


Weep and wail, we must; scream and cry, "It can't be, it isn't so." But it is. "Weeping may endure for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning." Psalm 30:5  Morning seems impossibly far from me; mourning wraps my heart in fear and terror. "Rejoice in the Lord always, I say it again, rejoice." Philippians 4:4 seems like a cruel command in the face of such violence. And yet, it is our hope, our only prayer, for Paul shows us next what will see us through any storm: "The Lord is near."  Philippians 5a It is as if God whispers:

"Rejoice, My Child, I am near. I will carry you through this sorrow, I will hold you as you grieve. The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon Me ~ for you~ I have been anointed to bind up your broken-heart, to comfort all who mourn and provide for those who grieve. I will provide for you, My Child, even in this grief that you find unbearable. My light will wake you when the terror of this nightmare threatens to undo you; when your feet slip on the chaos evil has strewn on your path I will hold you fast."

"Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing." 

 Jesus' words from the Cross 
Luke 23:34

The One who suffered violence at the hands of evil men, who stumbled under the weight of a cross of shame came to set us free from sin and death that evil might hold sway no longer. We know that these children, taken from life before they had lived their days to the full, find themselves before the face of a Loving Father. He wraps them in His arms, and whispers:

"Welcome Home, My child. I know you were frightened, but I was always with you. My love held you, My unfailing love was your comfort. It was all a shadow land, a passing vapor, and now you are here! You are with me today in paradise and I am so glad you are Home. 
Nothing will ever harm you on my Holy Mountain." 





Medicine from Sacred Scripture:

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on Me, 
because the Lord has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. 
He has sent Me to bind up the broken-hearted...
to comfort all who mourn, 
and provide for those who grieve." 
Isaiah 61: 1a,b  2b, 3a

"May your unfailing love be my comfort" 
Psalm 119:76

"Jesus answered, I tell you the truth, today you will be with Me in paradise."
 Luke 23:43

"Behold I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind...They will neither harm nor destroy on all My holy mountain, says the Lord." Isaiah 65:17, 25




No comments:

Post a Comment