About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Sunday, March 1, 2015

LOVING IN LENT

Such joy is found on the journey of Lent when we recognize who invites us. The Creator of the sun and stars, tulips and treetops, it is He who bids you, "Come and follow me." It seems this is a season of songs for me, "The Summons" is a beautiful call by the Shepherd to follow Him where we do not want to go, to leave ourselves behind and love others so that we might never be the same.

And this is Lent: almsgiving. Our hearts and lives are awakened by the brilliant beauty of unsolicited generous love. God's self-giving fills our world with lavish flowers and seashore, redwoods and waterfalls~ all for our sheer pleasure. Perhaps Lent's love is to give and give and give until another knows the love of God in you and for them.

My attitudes need adjusting for my habits wreck havoc on this call to holiness.

God speaks so softly:

"My child, Let Me hold you in My love and wash you clean of your willful pride and harsh judgements, these are not helpful, they hinder My ways in you. Trust My heart, Child. I am ever-loving and I long to touch your soul with My tender mercy. What you see is your sin; I see My Son. You see winter cloaking your heart in cold; I see the warmth of My love melting your soul's stubbornness."



If I stand in the light of His face, the gaze of His grace, sin's hold on me is undone and I am on my way to Easter. I cannot measure the mountains of mercy, the unbounded joy of God's heart as I take tentative steps in Lent, loosening the grip of sin with the power of His Cross. I choose how to see the world around me; in deepest darkest storm I call to mind, and therefore have hope, that His steadfast love never ceases. Lifting my eyes to the hills, I rest and trust in a love that changes me as Lent's crashing waves of mercy remake me.



Medicine from Sacred Writings:

"There is need of much almsgiving; for this it is which especially gives strength to the medicine of repentance... but let us all humble our own souls be almsgiving and forgiving our neighbor's trespasses, by not remembering injuries, not avenging ourselves."


John Chrysostom   Fourth Century 




No comments:

Post a Comment