About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Monday, March 16, 2015

LOST AND FOUND IN LENT


I carelessly place precious possessions in random locations. My rings, my favorite necklaces, special recipes, these all get lost in living life. I try. I think I will be better and then I forget, I am busy, I don't recall... Where did I last have them? When did I last see them? Our oldest son gave me a beautiful little box for treasures, so I am a bit better these days, though yesterday I noticed my rings in the front pocket of my favorite jeans. Misplaced again. 




I misplace the image of God in me. Lent helps Him be found in me again. Before the fall, before the serpent's twisted logic and words, rang this proclamation through all of creation:

"So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created Him; 
male and female He created them." 
Genesis 1;27


Lent is an opportunity to search..."Search me O God and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting."  God searches me that I might be more like Him, restoring His image in me. The journey of Lent is like being under the loving gaze of  our heavenly Father who says:


"My child, today you have lost sight of My love for you and what I have created you to be; your spirit is weary and burdened with rules and roles when I would long to look into your heart and see it pure~ filled with love for Me and others. I ask no more, but no less. Do you remember you are Mine and I love you?"


 Psalm 139:23-24 The Psalmist in verse 14 says, " I am fearfully and wonderfully made," but I lose sight of the beauty of my soul  day to day. The call to holiness is to create a space for the Divine in me and to live attentive to my soul.

 


Have we been searched by God and known by Him?

Medicine from Sacred Writings:

"Consider from what evils God delivered us; how great an experiment and demonstration of loving kindness He afforded us! He did not limit his redemption to mere deliverance, but greatly extended the benefit, for He also made you clean... He also filled you with countless blessing. Knowing therefore, these things, beloved, and bearing in mind the greatness of the blessing that has been wrought, let us continue to live soberly, being pure from all things." 

John Chrysostom    Fourth Century

"




No comments:

Post a Comment