About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Friday, March 27, 2015

SAME OLD LENT?



Last years leaves wither while waiting for Spring to arrive; so much like me this Lent, longing for Lent's revelations to transform me. What have I learned in this stripped season of waiting and struggle? That I am weak. I long to live wholly for God, but my own disordered attachments and affections ~my passions of pride and hurt, unresolved inner longings lead me astray. I cling to the old, the familiar, and find there is no new growth. No surprise there.



"Therefore if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come." 2 Corinthians 5:17

The old plants are still in their pots, the old bush hangs limply over the pond, but I like structure~ even the form of frozen stems seems beautiful in the winter. Now is the time for new beginnings. I must go out and prune, rip up all that will not bear life and fruit in me. (seems this is what God does in Lent~ show us what is not life-giving). And as for the storms~ that is when the real recovery must begin. The wreckage caused by the storms in our lives- loss of loved ones, betrayals, traumas, misunderstandings, sheer weariness- even this is some kind of storm~ these require even more careful clearing out that we might make room for the new.


Jesus comes and says startling words: 

"I have come that you might have life and life abundant."
 John 10:10

What in your life doesn't look like life? It sounds silly, but it is true. Ask God to walk with you through the spring clean-up in your soul and to speak truth to you and make all things new.

 Have you lost a loved one? Jesus says, "I AM the resurrection and the Life." This promise is to bring you hope.

 Have you suffered a betrayal or misunderstanding and it has blinded you to the love of God? He says to you: "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them. I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do. I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16 

Have you lived through trauma and feel trapped in the prison of it? God says to you: "I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places so that you may know I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name." Isaiah 45:2-3


What old things are you clinging to when the new has already come?


Medicine from Sacred Writing:

"But behold, both a  new soul, (for it was cleansed,) and a new body, and a new worship, and promises new, and covenant, and life, and table, and dress, and all things new absolutely...instead of circumcision, baptism; instead of the manna, the Lord's body; instead of water from a rock, blood from His side; instead  of Moses' or Aaron's rod, the Cross; instead of the promised land, the kingdom of heaven; instead of a lamb without reason, a Spiritual Lamb. With these and such like things in His thought He said, "all things are new." But "all" these "things are of God," by Christ , and His free gift." 

John Chrysostom   Fourth Century

No comments:

Post a Comment