About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

GATHERING STORM

Snow gently gathers on the worn red canoe across the pond layering her in white; she's upside-down, as is my spiritual life. Liking structure and predictability, but experiencing chaos is confusing. Plans change, I make my way somewhere only to find I am hopelessly lost. God gently whispers, "you will be late, but you will arrive when I will."

 Jesus's prayer haunts me, "Not My will, but Your will be done." John 22:42 So simple to simply pray when we don't go near our will- keeping prayer for others, ourselves, our situation, but not seeking purity of our intentions and motivations.


I would enjoy another white water rafting trip with the family; I don't want a bigger boat alone on a deeper lake. So it is in our interior life; the invitation is to deep water yet we long to hang back on safe shores.

Yesterday this came to me:

"I, the Lord, am blocking your will; it is as if you were out to sea and would like to go to Cancun, but I have caused a great storm in your soul, and not only can you not go, but you do not know where you are and cannot find the familiar sails to use, neither can you find the rigging to make fast your boat in the tempest. You question the destination you desired, but neither do you know to where you should set sail. Ride out this storm in your soul. Trust Me in it." 



Have you been there, facing the storm within but desperately searching for a little red canoe or shore or safety? I want to scream, "good luck!" but know what is true: "Be still and know I am God." Psalm 46:10 

I wonder what your storm is? Be assured, God will meet you in it.

Medicine from Sacred Writing:

"God has displayed no slight token of His providential care by having preserved you whole and unharmed...Now if He has not permitted any shipwreck to take place in the midst of so much rough water, much more will He preserve your soul in calm weather and lighten your burden."

John Chrysostom Fourth Century





No comments:

Post a Comment