About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Friday, January 10, 2014

LEANING

We've a beautiful frozen pond in our backyard where snow is falling once again covering the skating rink we enjoyed on New Year's Day. Leaning against the deck railing, the shovel waits to be put into service once again. Somehow the idea of this tool leaning there waiting to be used draws me to my spiritual reality: I lean on so many things, do you?

Mostly I lean on my own understanding. As I was praying this came:

"My Child, I have come to dwell in your home; worries and distractions keep you from seeing Me. I never leave you or forsake you, child, but when you begin to let the cares of the world overwhelm you, you cannot see Me. Look with the eyes of your heart, child. Do not lean on your own understanding. When you descend with the stairs of your mind and try to live in your own strength it all goes so poorly, doesn't it, child? This is how I want you to begin each and every morning: with mercy. You need mercy for the morning, mercy for the day, mercy for each person. I would have you know My mercy and wisdom deep within you."
Under the deep layers of snow and ice the life of the pond rests: the turtles, fish, and river otters; and in my soul, beneath the swirling demands of the day lie the deeper truths of God.  I cannot muster mercy on my own; I do not possess in myself what God would ask for, but as I wrestle I find He gives what He would require. 

My garden rake and hoe are still outside, but they cannot wield any power this season. My understanding, my way of seeing things does not always serve me. I can ask God to give me eyes to see, wisdom to put away the tools that no longer work and grace to look deeper than the surface. 

What are you leaning on?


Medicine from Sacred Scripture:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean  not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5, 6

No comments:

Post a Comment