About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A WELL-ORDERED LENT

So many shoes, so many places they travel, in the recesses my mind Dr Seuss is muttering, "Oh the places they'll go." I wonder if God looks at His children and says the same, whether in joy or sorrow, "Oh, the places they'll go." Maybe Lent is calling us back to the sacred table of the Lord where He offers us life and life abundant.


Walking in the light of Lent towards the Father's heart is such a challenge for me; I'd rather give up wine, chocolate and dessert (I couldn't add Irish tea to the list), than just open my heart and accept the love and grace of God's mercy poured over me. I want to work and God says, "receive." I want to strive and He says, "rest." I want to sacrifice and He wants to transform me.

Ah, if I told you what was in my soul you'd be frightened, but we might as well have at it, since it is openness God is after. Two strangers in the pew in front of me showed me my heart on Sunday; I can be unkind in my thoughts and judgments. A conversation over the weekend with a family member was less than charitable. Can I stop now and find refuge in fasting from sweets?

Mounds of muffins would be less damaging to my heart than all this internal violence. And so, I must gather my courage and journey this Lent towards love, light and hope, letting God touch the deepest parts of me that still yearn to hide, protect myself and defend my lack. He can order my soul; I cannot do it, but with God all things are possible.

Medicine from Sacred Writings:

"When the fast has arrived, we do not take pains that the concerns of the soul may be well ordered, but we limit the fast solely to the abstinence from food. Since, were we to reap the full benefit of it in reformation of conduct, we should wish the fast to come round every day."
John Chrysostom Fourth Century

No comments:

Post a Comment