About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

LENT'S JOURNEY TO LOVE

So many paths, so many ways to go. This Lent I am simply trying to listen for God's voice and follow. It isn't easy. Have you noticed, if Someone says, "rejoice again I say rejoice, let your gentleness be evident to all, " Philippians 4:4-5 that all harshness in you is  revealed. We call it "chippy" here, a kind of brittle, harpish response to the most innocent of requests.

Or He will lob another one at me, "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other." Ephesians 4:32 Then comes the real guilt-kicker, "Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy." 1 Peter 1:16 The key seems to be with whom am I walking? It is almost as if God takes me by the hand and saying:

Now, Child, let's get a few things straight:
 You forgive because I forgave you. Ephesians 4:32
 You are gentle, for you know I am always near. Philippians 4:4-5
You are holy because I who call you am holy. 1 Peter 1:16 

We follow a God who loves us, and holiness comes as I walk in obedience and great love of Him, almost as if I become like Him because I spend so much time with Him! My heart is emptied of sin and chippiness as I love and obey, obey and love. "Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have a sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply from the heart." Ephesians 4:22 From the depths of my heart's purity flows love.

How are you living and loving these Lenten days?

Medicine from Sacred Writings:

"Grace of soul is supplied out of our own moral choice... 
the beauty of the soul proceeds from obedience to God." 

John Chrysostom   Fourth Century



No comments:

Post a Comment