About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

SPACE FOR A SACRED FEAST

There is really no place to have a meal here in our dining room. My books, my calendars, notes, reference books, reading lists, it all crowds my table and my soul. What takes up space in your heart?


 My life isn't wired. I can't seem to keep my phone charged or on me, and if I do have it, there is no guarantee that I can find it or will answer when you call or text. Technology isn't something I need to "give up" because I've never embraced it. There's the clue: what we cherish and can't live without may be crowding out Life in us. The challenge of Lent is to uncover what clutters our souls. It can be so innocent.


King Arthur Flour isn't a sin I need to give up, but my hard-wired overachieving identity that my stashes reveal might point to something that needs to go this Lenten season. I am not the number of muffins I make (nor are we the number we eat), but I am in danger of wanting to bake more and do more. When I travel I need a suitcase for my books and one for my clothes, even on a two day trip! It may be time for a fast from perfectionism.

Is there space in your soul for God's gifts of love, joy and peace?

Medicine from Sacred Writings:

"This is what is to be sought after and for which all things are done, that we may correct our defects; and that we may not quit the fast the same persons as we entered upon it, but in a cleansed state; and that having laid aside all that belongs to evil habits we may thus keep the sacred feast."
                          John Chrysostom     Fourth Century

1 comment:

  1. I love that quote "that we may not quit the fast the same person as we entered into it". Oh the cry of our hearts as we seek the will and courage to open the door and enter the dark places. I believe CS Lewis wrote "holy places are dark places" and as you have reminded me, the Light waits for us to open the door to Him to expose and to heal, to receive all He desires to give...mercy, love, grace, cleansing. Thanks for sharing your insights -Sarah

    ReplyDelete