About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Monday, March 17, 2014

ELEVATORS OF LENT

Yesterday I visited a friend staying in the hospital on the seventh floor. I'm terrible with directions and passed four elevators on my way, worrying if I should take a particular one; each would have taken me to her. I had come to take her home. In Lent the Church gives us three elevators that will assist us in rising, that will lift us from the world and self and set our souls closer to heaven, nearer to God, bringing us Home.

Fasting releases us from the stranglehold of have, consume, fill, and satiate. We find ourselves empty and thus we create a space for holiness, reflection and God. Almsgiving opens up new places of mercy and charity as we begin to imitate the kindness of God towards others. Prayer is beginning a conversation with God where we learn to listen for His voice of love.
Slowly I realize I am on no, "fast track to heaven," as a matter of fact I find I am only on the bottom stair and falling more than I rise. I long to keep my Lenten commitments (I will write every day, I will be loving), but I miss a day of writing or lose my patience and become discouraged. The very stairs I am to climb are blurred by my tears.
At any time I can cry, "Abba, Father," and God will come and pick me up from my failures and comfort me. He is watching me try to find my way, searching for the elevator, stumbling in the dark and He whispers, "My Child, you have Me; rest and remain in My love."

So I stumble on through Lent, hoping you are finding the elevators.

Medicine from Sacred Scriptures:

"I lift my eyes up to the hills- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip- He who watches over you will not slumber or sleep."  Psalm 121:1-3

1 comment:

  1. What I forget in the search for an elevator is that all we need to do is stand still in the darkenss, look up, and see God through the windows and skylights. He doesn't even require that we find the elevators on our own; he guides me there:)

    ReplyDelete