About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

FRUIT OF LENT

Strawberries are ripe in Florida and they have found their way north. Bright, fragrant berries fill our grocery now, and our kitchen as well. I wonder what is filling your life?

What season might it be deep in your spirit? Is it a time for resting, fertilizing, cultivating, pruning, or harvesting? I'm in a painful pruning process and trying hard not to flinch under God's shears. Words, attitudes, some actions, much is being cut away that I might be fruitful.

I shouldn't be surprised; the grapes are trimmed hard against the vine as they wait for spring to bring life again to their seemingly shriveled up trunks. So am I as well. I long for sun and warmth and growth and instead receive harsh pruning and seemingly ruthless treatment from the Vine-dresser as He shows me more and more of my heart this Lent. He has given me three little plants to care for in my soul: kindness, gentleness and love.

What is God growing in you?

Medicine from Sacred Writings: 

"Cultivate your soul. Cut away the thorns. Sow the word of godliness. Propagate and nurse with care the fair plants of divine wisdom, and you have become a farmer. Paul will say to you, "The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops." 2 Timothy 2:6  Sharpen your sickle, which you have blunted through gluttony- sharpen it by fasting... We shall have the fast for a groundwork and instructor in all these things"
                John Chrysostom       Fourth Century

No comments:

Post a Comment