About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Friday, April 11, 2014

LENT'S ONE FLOWER

We are gardeners, all of us; we plant and harvest in so many areas of our lives, in relationships, in our spiritual life, in our families, in our physical world. We even reap and sow in our emotional lives. How interesting. "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping carrying seed to sow will return carrying sheaves with him." Psalm 126:5-6

Last night I watched a beautiful friend of mine, as she cried with sorrow over her daughter's illness. I wept. Such love and devotion mingled with the unknown and unexpected. We all struggle to meet life's demands with our meager resources, and yet here was my friend, sowing hope, while she wept.

How can we meet the rush and demands, the excruciating expectation and overwhelming loss of our everyday lives and loves? It is all in acknowledging that we are planting. "Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the Lord, until He comes and showers righteousness on you." Hosea 10:12 

God digs deep in sadness and disappointment, in hurt and pain, causing us to seek Him. When we begin to act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with God, we will indeed find that He showers His righteousness and unfailing love upon us. These lingering days of Lent are an opportunity to ask God, "Am I planting righteousness, am I listening to you, have I taken anything out of my life that I might hear you better? 

If only I can imitate God's kindness, it is the one flower I am sowing.

Medicine from Sacred Writing:

"Let us endeavor to carry along with us a memento of the present fast when it is over."


John Chrysostom  Fourth Century

No comments:

Post a Comment