About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

THE REFLECTION OF LENT

Mirrors are made for looking at ourselves to be sure we are at our best; we check on the way out the door, some of us, to be sure our hair is in place and nothing is out of order in our appearance. Lent is like a mirror to the soul, each "thing" we give up can expose our deepest desires revealing the holy. "Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God." Matthew 5:8 Sin is like a funhouse of mirrors, our true identity is warped and stretched, sometimes beyond recognition.

We can stop drinking, eating sugar, swearing, eating meat and yet all this is meaningless if it does not lead us of out of the chaos of sin and self to God and holiness. I want to say my Lent is a failure because I have eaten dessert and had wine with dinner (no chocolate bars, though, in these many days). The journey is the the joy of knowing I am loved and saved from my sin, delighted in and yet called to be more like Him.

I look towards heaven and cry,"God have mercy on me sinner." Luke 18:13 I am still judging, oh Father, give me your grace. I am hurt by insults, Lord fill me with your love. I long to be like You, come to my rescue.

Medicine from Sacred Writing:

"I have observed many people rejoicing, and saying, one to another, "We have conquered; we have prevailed; the half of the fast is spent." But I exhort such persons not to rejoice on this account, that the half of the fast is gone, but  to consider whether the half of their sins be gone; and if so to exult. For this is what is to be sought after, and for which all things are done, that we may correct our defects; that we may not quit the fast the same persons as we entered upon it."
John Chrysostom   Fourth Century

No comments:

Post a Comment