About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

SONG OF LENT


Waking in the stillness of the still dark day I hear a chorus of morning birds and feel the wild wind whpping across the pond. I am drawn by all the activity; the ice has melted and spring has come. As the days have melted into weeks and Lent has gone by us we stand in the middle of the drama of Holy Week.



 Mercy calls to us, "Come, taste and see that the Lord is good. Come, listen for my love as I walk into Jerusalem knowing I will die for you. Allow every step I take in love and obedience to inform your days." Could it be we are so caught up in the daily demands rather than in the One who created the day. Yet, underneath it all a song is being sung to our souls if we would stop and listen. It is the song of God's love for us.

I miss the meaning if I merely go through the motions; if I let the wind touch my face I am reminded there is One who made the wind, if I step into the story of Christ's Passion and find a love so this consuming it would take sin and destroy death, I am changed. 

Allow God to touch you as you walk these holy days
.



Medicine from Sacred Writing:

"If one says, "I have fasted the whole of Lent ," do you say, "I had an enemy but I was reconciled; I had a custom of evil-speaking, but I put a stop to it; I had a custom of swearing, but I have broken through this evil practice. It is of no advantage  to merchants, to have gone over a great extent of ocean, but to have sailed with a freight and much merchandise. The fast will profit us nothing if we pass through it as a mere matter of course without any benefit." 

John Chrysostom   Fourth Century

No comments:

Post a Comment