About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

ADVENT'S COMFORT

How do you comfort others? How do you comfort yourself? I am an innate, natural nurturer and fill up lonely, empty spaces inside of others with food. I'm sorry, maybe that isn't wise or good or in any way helpful, but when you have been feeding little people for two decades it is hard to lose the habit. I sent one of the men-boys home with a bag of happiness. He grabbed a few sandwiches for his trip and then I packed a bag of baked goods: cookies and blueberry scones and giant snicker doodles. It's what I do.

Comforting myself, not so much. I don't turn to food or shopping or even face book to be nurtured, I usually turn inward and find either, "the light's on and Someone is home," or they are not. If I am living from self and sin it seems very dark within, but when I am living from love and light I can sense God's presence within me. Let me explain:

"If anyone loves Me, he will obey My teaching. My Father will love him and we will come to Him and make our home in him." John 14:23 I can welcome my Father in heaven with my obeidience and my love. I can choose to, "love others as God has loved me." John 13:34 So simple. As I love and welcome others my obedience makes God welcome in me. I wonder why God wishes to come and make His home in us? Because He loves us! "How great the love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called the children of God! And that is what we are! 1 John 3:1 Just as I wish for my children to come home, stay a while, share meals and enjoy each other's company, so, too, my Heavenly Father longs for me.



When I live from this love, the love of the Father delighting and dwelling in me, comfort and security wash over me like a waterfall. The morning prayers are so interesting today: "In our pain and anxiety, give us comfort and security." We are not told our pain or anxiety will be taken away, but that in them we can have the comfort and security of God's love and care.

The Promise is given: "For unto us a child is born, a Son is given, and the government will be upon His shoulders. And His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:2

What are you in need of this day? A Counselor? A Father? Peace? Light within? Comfort? Security? Find in Him and in His coming all you are longing for.

Medicine from Sacred Scriptures:

"'Comfort, comfort, My people,' says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and proclaim to her that her hard service has been completed, that her sin has been paid for, that she has received from the Lord's hand double for all her sins." Isaiah 40:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment