About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

ADVENT'S PRESSURE

The pressure is exhausting. How many decorations adorn your home, how many cookies baked and eaten, how many parties invited to, responded to and attended? I feel like a Nutcracker set up to keep watch over the Christmas cheer! Today I rested my weary soul for a few moments at a friend's home: no rush, no hurry, no need to pick up, clean up, be "up." We sort of sat there being together. It was so refreshing, the being.



All the doing confuses me, I thought Christmas was about love and joy and, "peace on earth, good will towards men." How did we ever get so wrapped up in the trappings and the tree? Nothing inherently wrong with those, but they somehow steal joy instead of giving it and the insanity of the long "to-do list" leaves little left in us for loving.

When I am worn with trying to grasp the meaning amidst the madness I let Christmas music make my soul obey. It's as if I drag parts of me around saying, "enjoy this, you know you should enjoy these friends, this party, this breakfast, this tea," when what I'm really looking for is nothing this world has to offer. I am leaning hard against heaven hoping for a sign that I am not alone and help is on the way.



I crave peace and joy and long for holiness and contentment within. It isn't that I demand everything be wrapped up in a bow, but I have to have a holier calling on my frazzled pace. I need a song in my soul to carry me through the demands of the Advent days. Surely it shouldn't be this way, but somehow the world has crowded the manger out and we are required to pay some kind of fee for the season- be it in cookies or cakes, packages or parties.

Do you need to quiet your soul? Listen carefully, heaven and nature are singing.

Medicine from Sacred Writings:

"Glory to God in the Highest, and on earth peace, good will towards men. " Luke 2:14 If you desire to learn something from Cherubim and Seraphim, you shall hear the mystic song of His Holiness, and that, "heaven and earth are full of His glory." Isiah 6:3 If you enquire of the higher powers, you shall find that their one work is the praise of God."


John Chrysostom Fourth Century

No comments:

Post a Comment