About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

ADVENT'S GOOD NEWS

A tiny slip of paper wakes me from sound sleep: my list. Raspberry layer cake, appple pie, cinnamon rolls, cookies yet to be rolled out, a few presents that still need sorting and wrapping. This is nothing new- there really is nothing new under the sun, or under today's cheerless gray sky, but how to handle the stress and seemingly endless errands and preparations for the holidays?

I can make my heart ready for this day, for this task, for these duties, for family and friends and the guests God brings. I know you would say I can shorten my list, but that would grieve my heart, for it is my passion, but I can sit in God's presence and strengthen my heart to bear the gifts of giving without the weight of worry and resentment. How?

"My heart is ready, O God; I will sing, sing your praise. Awake my soul... I will thank you, Lord, among the peoples. among the nations I will praise you, for your love reaches to the heavens and your truth to the skies." Psalm 108



Faintly, in the reflection through our sun room windows, our Christmas lights appear outside on this dreary day. So too, in my life, Christ's light shines from within me to dimly display the glory of His love to a needy world. My choice is to see the day, with all its chaos and caroling as His, and know the truth that reaches these foggy New England skies: His love reaches to the heavens and has come down from the heavens to touch us and heal us, bringing hope and joy and peace. He brings me His love and lifts my weary head. "He is my glory and the lifter of my head." Psalm 3:3

My heart is ready. Is yours?

"Come thou long-expected Jesus, 
Born to set thy people free
 From our fears and sins release us, 
Let us find our rest in thee.
 Israel's strength and consolation,
Hope of all the earth thou art;
Dear desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart.
Born thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a King.
Born to reign in us forever,
Now thy gracious kingdom bring 
By thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By thine all-sufficient merit
Raise us to thy glorious throne.



Medicine from Sacred Writing:

"For what greater grace could God have made to dawn on us than to make His only Son become a son of man, so that  a son of man might in turn become the son of God. Ask if this were merited; for its reason, for its justification, and see whether you will find any other answer but sheer grace...Let us then rejoice in this grace."

 Saint Augustine  Sermon 185

No comments:

Post a Comment