About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Thursday, December 4, 2014

ADVENT'S PROMISE


Handmade stockings hang around a simple mantle, no fancy decorations or silver, just a few tall nutcrackers the boys remind me fall on a regular basis. I feel a little sad somehow walking by those tall carvings, as if they, too, stand watch waiting for men to return. Christmas seems to be anticipating the arrival.

One flies home mid-December, another's last final is the 17th, in time for the Hobbit's premier showing, the other travels across country close to Christmas. They all gather soon, so why the nostalgia? It is the memories of children grown, of those already gone, and those who will gather in places I can't be. A niece's invitation pulls at heart -strings, the next generation's little ones gathered for donuts and laughter is the happiness holidays hold.



The tree, the lights, the gifts, purchased and made, all hold the magic of the waiting. I long for the presence of those held in my heart. So it is with the King of Kings. I know He dwells within, speaking, guiding, ever-with me, and yet I long for His coming, breaking into the world with joy and hope. How I need hope, to be reminded I am not alone, to feel the weight lifted from tired shoulders and His care and kindness showered on my fragile soul.


Voices gathered at the dinner table speak the Promise: "The Virgin shall be with child and will give birth to a Son and they will call him "Immanuel"- which means, "God with us." Matthew 1:23 Angelic annunciations are always surprising.Holding these words as an anchor for my soul, I embrace the God who comes to me in the manger and makes a way for me to know His love.

What is it you are waiting for this Advent season?

Medicine from Sacred Writing:

"For when human nature was fleeing from Him, and fleeing far away (for we "were far off"- Ephesians 2:13), He pursued after and overtook us. He showed that He has done this only out of kindness, and love, and tender care." 

John Chrysostom Fourth Century 


No comments:

Post a Comment