About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

ADVENT'S UPSET

I have this illusion that Christmas is about a list, and gifts and presents and parties and family gathering, and it is, but there is a deeper meaning that fuels the outer purposes. God comes to me in the incarnation so that I might come to Him. I can rest my weary soul, and obey the tender call of the Savior: "Come to Me all you who are weary, and I will give you rest,  Matthew 11:28 

I can only give what I have received. If I have Christ's Presence within me, "Immanuel, God with us," Matthew 1:7 this peaceful Presence is mine to share. However, what I mostly have is the remnants of a lingering cold, the tiredness that comes with recovering, and the overwhelming sense that I am missing it~ missing the boat, missing the call to love and give and share. 


God's list looks nothing like mine. He interrupts my Advent with a simple question: "Are you being My light to a dark and lonely world?" That's all. Reign it in and ask Him to rain down from heaven His joy and Presence. The Gospel rings true as Jesus reminds me quietly, "Apart from Me you can do nothing." John 15:5 

But I am not thinking of vines and branches, I'm thing of holly and mistletoe and how disappointing circumstances can be~ words not written, hearts not understood, gatherings not taking place. In this He speaks so softly, "I am with you. I will never leave you or forsake you. Forsake your dreams and your ideals and be My love and light to those I bring. They may not be the ones you are looking and longing for, but they are Mine and I would have you love in My Name."

Who do you need to love today?


Medicine from Sacred Writings:

"Christ being Lord and King, and the King's Son, brought to us things far greater, being ever with the Father, and beholding Him continually." 

John Chrysostom Fourth Century

No comments:

Post a Comment