About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

ADVENT'S HELP


Rain pours ceaselessly from the sky, as if heaven were weeping for us all. The weariness of the days and the demands of the season empty us even as we long to be filled. Surely we have need of One who can help, One who can save. The prophet Isaiah gets front and center stage during Advent for all the promises God makes through him of the coming Messiah: "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10



Struggling with loving and helping, I went to church discouraged and feeling ill-equipped for the day. We began by reciting a familiar prayer and the words struck me full-force: "Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth, as it is in heaven..." As I lifted my hands to pray, it was as if God reached down and said, "You are My child and I want you to take My hand and let me help you. And now, reach for your loved one's hand, they need your help, not your anxiety, they need your calming presence." 

 And when I got to the words, "Thy Kingdom come," God whispered, "My kingdom is within you, since I have come as Emmanuel. Whereever you are I desire to be with you. Look for Me, listen for Me and bring Me with you to every situation you find yourself in."



Emmanuel comes to us, personally and intimately, and because we have seen Him we both worship and adore; our souls finding their footing in Him and our feet running to shout the Good News. We say, "God be with you," or, "God help you," in times of crisis, how much more so at Advent when the Son comes down to bring God in the flesh, a tiny Babe, that we might have His Presence with us. Indeed, God is with us.

Is there a place in your life you need God with you? Ask Him to reveal Himself.

Medicine from Sacred Writing:

"The Word became flesh and dwelt among us," the Master took on Him the form of a  servant. For He  became the Son of man, who was God's own Son in order that He might make the sons of men to be children of God."

John Chrysostom Fourth Century



No comments:

Post a Comment