About This Blog

Come peer through the lens of Sacred Writings and Scripture to know ourselves and be made whole. There is always medicine to apply in our lives: emotional, relational, social and spiritual. My prayer is that the words of the early church and scripture will inform our identity and bring us healing that equips us to know and serve God with all our hearts.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

SHARING BECAUSE I AM IN NEED

Sunday, fourth week of Lent

Six bathrobes in my closet, seriously? I have kept four: one for summer, one for winter and two for sentimental reasons. We have to take baby steps when we are reorienting our inner world. A small thing to say, "I do not need six pairs of jeans and so many sweaters," but it is where I must begin.

 Out of obedience I give, but I feel lighter. I need interior space and it comes in this gift of  giving alms- my heart is opened to the need of others and I am set free from my covetousness. Is there anything in excess in your life? Ask God what you can give.


Medicine from Sacred Writing:

"But when alms are given, we want nothing else, but the disposition only is required. And if you say that money is needed and houses and clothes and shoes; read the words of Christ about the widow (who gave only two small coins) and cease from this anxiety." Gospel of Matthew Homily LII.5 NPNF1; 10.325

No comments:

Post a Comment